Here’s a list of five products we recommend complete with a description and some pros and cons for each.
Best Stainless Steel Bowl
|Comes in multiple sizes||Not easy to clip/unclip|
|Made from stainless steel|
|Attaches to the side of the crate|
This bowl by Midwest Homes is available in four different sizes:
- 1.25 cups,
- 2.5 cups,
- 4 cups, or
- 8 cups.
So you should be able to find the right size for your dog.
Made from stainless steel so it’s fairly indestructible and won’t be easy for your dog to chew.
It is one of those dog bowls that attach to a cage (on the side). Some users have reported that it’s not very easy to clip and unclip from the side of the crate.
This won’t be a big deal if you’re planning on leaving the bowls attached to the crate, but if you plan to remove the bowls daily, this might be a challenge.
Best Hanging Bowl
The Ethical Pet Stainless Steel Coop Cup is a 10-ounce stainless steel bowl that attaches to the side of your dog’s metal crate. It’s the best hook on water bowls for dog crates that I can recommend.
|Made from stainless steel||One size only|
|Attaches to the side of the crate|
Stainless steel is durable and easy to clean.
It attaches to the side of the dog crate, which will help prevent it from being knocked over by your dog on the floor.
But…It’s only available in one size. So, if you have a really small dog or a really big dog, this choice of water dish for dog crates won’t suit you or your dog.
Best Water Bottle for Small Dogs
The Lixit Water Bottle is a 32-ounce water bottle attachment for dogs that are toy breed size. It’s actually designed for rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, and other small animals.
If you don’t want a dog water bowl that attaches to a cage, this water bottle is a great alternative. The Lixit water bottle is a clip on water bowl for dog crate.
|Less chance of spillage||Suitable for toy dog breeds only|
|Water dispensed on demand||Water comes out slowly|
The water is not in an open bowl, so there’s no chance of it spilling all over the floor.
Water is only dispensed as your pet licks on the nozzle, limiting wastage.
This would not work for a medium or large size dog. It’s only good for toy breeds.
Water comes out very slowly, which could make it frustrating for a thirsty dog.
Best No Spill Bowl
While the Ray Allen BB2-PUR Buddy Bowl does not attach to the side of the crate, it is spill proof, and will not spill even if tipped over upside down. Its design also helps keep out dust and dirt, ensuring your pet will always have clean water.
The spill-proof design will do a great job of keeping the water where it’s supposed to be – in the bowl, not on the floor.
|Spill proof||Not made from stainless steel|
|3 colors available||Water comes out slowly|
|3 sizes available|
This water bowl is available in three colors: black, coyote, or neutral, and available in three sizes: 32 ounces, 44 ounces, and 64 ounces.
It is not stainless steel, and if your dog is a chewer, he could chew this bowl.
Best Stainless Steel Bowl
The AmazonBasics Stainless Steel Dog Bowl is a durable stainless steel bowl that holds up to 38 ounces. It has a rubber bottom, designed to stick to the floor, and not tip over if your pet knocks into it.
|Made from stainless steel||Comes in one size only|
|Very affordable||Not spill proof|
|Does not attach to crate|
This stainless steel bowl is definitely the most affordable/best value option if you are looking for a water bowl for your dog’s crate.
But it only comes in one size, which might be limiting depending on the size of your dog.
While it does have a rubber bottom, it is still possible your dog could knock this bowl over and easy spill its contents.
Brands Who Offer The Best Bowls
Three brands stand out from the pack and seem to have more options for you to choose from than others when you are selecting a water bowl for your dog’s crate.
Midwest Homes for Pets
- The headquarters are in the USA (Indiana).
- They have been around since 1921. Their parent company, Midwest Metal Products, are experts in innovation and research for all sorts of metal fabrication.
- They sell more than just water bowls and can help you with a variety of your dog’s needs. Because of their expertise in metal, the product they are most known for crates. If you’re in the market for a new crate for your dog, I would check out this manufacturer.
I really appreciate that they’ve done a lot of research on their products. They know what can withstand big dogs. Their metals have been tested. They test lighting, temperature, weight, and a variety of other factors. You know that any product from them should be a product that will last a long time. You also have the option of buying the crate and the bowl at the same time from the same company.
Ray Allen Manufacturing
- They are a family-founded company that opened in 1948.
- The company started out in the dog industry by working with the Army and providing supplies for the Army K9 units. Initially, they provided the leash and collar for all the dogs in the Army K9 division, and they eventually expanded to provide other necessities for the dogs in addition to just the leash and collars.
- They now offer products for all branches of military and police dogs.
- In addition to water bowls, you can get almost anything else your dog would need through this manufacturer.
It’s great to be able to support a business like this one. I’ve enjoyed providing my dogs with equipment from Ray Allen, as it feels like we’re giving back to a community that supports our police and our troops.
- Established in 1952
- All their products are made in the USA, and they are based out of New Jersey. While based in the USA, they do export products globally.
- You can get just about any toy, crate, or bowl your dog would need from them.
- They prioritize ethics over all else; thus, the company’s name. They have highly stringent quality control practices that ensure you’re always getting a high quality product.
It’s always nice to be able to support a company that has values that align with your own. I rest easy buying products from them as I know they hold themselves to high standards.